Wednesday 16 October 2013

Blood!

Our last three Physiology practicals lessons were all about blood. We have done several experiments to test and count red blood cells (erythrocytes) and white blood cells (leukocytes). This week we were testing our own blood, as opposed to an animals. One of the tests was to test for blood group. This test involves placing a drop blood into two different antigens, anti-A and anti-B. To get the blood, we had to sterilise our finger, and use a needle to 'stab' it! This gives a few drops of capillary blood to use.
My blood had agglutination in both antigens, meaning my blood group is AB.
We also rested our blood using the Rhesus system, to test for the Rh antigen. This involves placing a drop of blood into a drop of antigen D. I also had agglutination in my sample, meaning I am Rhesus positive, so my blood group is AB+ which is one of the rarest blood groups.
Next week we have a credit test in Physiology, and as it is the day before the weekly anatomy credit tests, I need to get most of my studying done on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment